Thursday, June 16, 2005

Should I ditch the ads?

There have been Google ads on this site for some time now, I put them there hoping to generate some cash to pay the monthly internet hookup. I'm questioning whether any of the ads are worth it. Many of Google's "content-specific" ads are for organizations that I would not normally support. For example: General Electric has been promoting its "Ecoimagination" campaign on environmental websites everywhere, but any self-respecting ecofreak wouldn't buy anything from GE because of its enormous nuclear energy program. Dumping Google Adsense seems like the way to go, but so far I haven't found an alternative ad revenue source, and I do mean "alternative". Does anyone out there have a suggestion for an ad source that would be more in line with the values that I am attempting to promote, or do you think I should just go ad free?

3 comments:

Jeff McIntire-Strasburg said...

Jerome--
I understand the conflict about Google ads... I've been playing with ads for green businesses with affiliate programs. Not a huge money-maker at this point, but if you're interested, let me know.

Jerome Alicki said...

Hey Jeff,

Yeah, I am interested in that. I haven't done much research in that direction other than looking at Working Assets. Hey, if it can pay my monthly bill and maybe get me a gyro each month, I'll be content.

jer

Jerome Alicki said...

If you're keeping track, you'll notice that the Google ads are now gone. While experimenting with a few different affiliate programs, I managed to become an online bookseller! So buy a book dammit!

Jeff, I stole your Powell's idea.

I was thinking of taking this a step further and promoting individual books and cd's and starting to write reviews. Of course the book reviews would relate to the original progressive, Green site content. If you're an author or a musician - or you know a couple - and would like a review, send me an email.