Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Congressman Ehler's (R - Michigan) Recent Letter on ANWR Drilling

November 1, 2005



Dear Jerome,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) and the budget. I appreciate hearing your willingness to share your comments.

I have consistently opposed opening ANWR to oil and gas drilling. I believe our time and money is better spent improving fuel efficiency and developing alternative and renewable fuels. However, as this legislation moves through the House and Senate, other significant issues in addition to exploration and drilling in ANWR may be added. This legislation is likely to come before Congress in late fall for a final vote.

Thank you again for you comments. I will keep your thoughts in mind as this issue proceeds.

Sincerely,

Vernon J. Ehlers
Member of Congress



"I appreciate hearing your willingness to share your comments." Hmmm...

Although I'm glad my congressman is opposed to opening ANWR for exploitation and I'm glad that he feels alternative energy sources are the way to go, in this statement he is leaving the door open in case some other issue added to the bill forces him to vote for it. It's a question of priorities, and there may be something more important down the road that changes his mind. But I ask you: What's more important right now than ending our dependence on fossil fuels and foreign energy sources and developing new energy technologies to replace the ones we have now? Can you possibly think of a better solution to the Petroleum War, Congressman? Stop messing around with a wildlife preserve and build some damn windmills on the shore of Lake Michigan for christsake. We can power an electric vehicle fleet using the wind coming off the Great Lakes. Shouldn't we stop spending hundreds of billions of dollars on war, and instead spend a hundred billion on converting everyone's gas powered vehicles to electricity?

By the way Congressman, if you would like someone on your staff who can write, I don't have anything to do tomorrow and I'm available for a job interview.

No comments: